£30000 - £54000 per annum
2 months ago
About the Role
The Assistant Lab Manager will play a crucial role managing a team of Biomedical Scientists (BMS) and Medical Laboratory Assistants (MLA). The role holder will report to the Laboratory Manager, as well as deputising for the Laboratory Manager where needed. The Deputy Laboratory Manager will perform routine analytical testing on a range of biological samples. They will be responsible for processing patient samples in good time and will ensure that service standards for reporting results are achieved. The Deputy Laboratory Manager will be expected to prioritise their own workload and manage the workload of the BMSs and MLAs in their team as well as perform urgent analytical testing as required. They will also supervise, train and support staff in their team. The role holder will be expected to support the Lab Manager and Quality Manager to maintain the highest standards of laboratory practice in line with HCPC and ISO 15189 policies.
* Deputise for the Laboratory Manager where appropriate tasks are delegated or during periods of absence.
* Work closely with the Lab Manager, Quality Manager and VP Laboratory Operations to develop and maintain a robust clinical service in accordance with all relevant guidelines and regulations.
* Line management of Lead BMS, BMS, Lab Scientist and MLA staff as required.
* Perform and supervise specimen preparation and dissection (cut up) under guidelines laid down by The Royal College of Pathologists and internal SOPs.
* Have specialist skills in one or more of immunohistochemistry, main lab histological procedures and/or clinical specimen dissection.
* Maintain proficiency of key techniques, whilst also ensuring sufficient trained staff to cover the workload and undertake the development of new techniques.
* Be a visible and vocal role model in the laboratory for laboratory team members, the wider group and service users.
* Participate in all relevant External Quality Assessment schemes and be the responsible individual for all UKNEQAS CPT scheme memberships held by the department.
* Entry of confidential patient data on LIMS and pathological reports and communication to clinicians.
* Ensuring the laboratory meets the standards for the handling of clinical specimens in accordance with ISO 15189.
* Participate in preparing Standard Operating Procedures to comply with ISO 15189 and Health and Safety regulations.
* MSc/ PhD in Biological Domain
* 5 years + HCPC registration as a BMS
* IBMS portfolio or equivalent
* Qualification in LEAN/Sigma Six
* Line management and leadership experience
* Working knowledge ISO15189, including experience of inspections and ability to perform routine Quality tasks such as auditing, logging nonconformities, and writing SOPs
* Laboratory bench skills including dissection, embedding, microtomy, special stains, IHC, quality control, and other diagnostic histology methods